Online MSW Gives Michigan Students a Fast Track to Social Work Roles
Tap into your passion for helping others to make a difference for vulnerable populations during your social work career. With our accelerated, CSWE-accredited online MSW program, you can take a fast track to essential roles needed in many Michigan communities.
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
Regular Standing MSW
Format 100% Online
Total Credits 60
Program Length As few as 4 semesters
Certificate Options Yes
Advanced Standing MSW – Accelerated Format
Format 100% Online
Total Credits 30
Program Length As few as 2 Semesters
Certificate Options Yes
An Accelerated Path to Social Work Roles in Michigan.
UK’s online MSW program helps you take a fast track to roles where you’ll advance the ideals of human rights and social justice in Michigan. Start our master’s degree program to study with experienced faculty who can prepare you to support people from diverse backgrounds on an accelerated schedule.
By pursuing your master’s degree online with UK, you can gain qualifications that Michigan social work employers need. To focus the online MSW program for career options in your region, you can choose from multiple certificate options to customize and enrich your education.
Graduate exceptionally prepared to provide research-informed support with Michigan-based organizations at any scale, from serving individuals directly to coordinating organizational practice. You can also explore macro-level social work to help improve social policy and large-scale systems of care. With our Advanced Standing master’s degree program, eligible full-time students can graduate in as little as 12 months.
A Fast Track to Careers Where You Can Make a Difference in Michigan.
The need for social work practitioners has accelerated in Michigan, and our online MSW program offers a fast track to these roles. From 2018 to 2028, the employment of mental health counselors will grow by 12% in Michigan—faster than the rate of all occupations nationally.1,2 Projections also show Michigan will need 8% more mental health and substance abuse social workers3 and 6% more healthcare social workers.4
Michigan’s Social Work Jobs by the Numbers.
Here are five social work roles available in Michigan, ranked by employment projections for 2028. With our Advanced Standing social work program, eligible students can prepare for these roles on an accelerated schedule.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: 15,090 jobs5
- Mental Health Counselors: 7,890 jobs1
- Healthcare Social Workers: 6,050 jobs4
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: 4,650 jobs3
- Social Workers, All Other: 1,280 jobs6
7.8% Ten-year projection for all occupations in the U.S.2
12% Ten-year projection for mental health counselors in Michigan.1
No. 10 Detroit/Warren/Dearborn, Michigan is a Top 10 metropolitan area for the employment of child, family, and school social workers.7
Prepare to Attain Licensure in Michigan.
Begin our accelerated master’s degree program to build the confidence and expertise to create social change in Michigan. Our online MSW program also helps you prepare for the social work licensure exam, with licensure pass rates that surpass the national average.
Professional licensure or certification may be required to practice, advance, or specialize in social work. However, educational requirements for licensure vary by state. Our Licensure Initiative provides more information on social work licensure.
Get more information about our online MSW program’s SARA compliance.
Curriculum: Maximize Your Support for Michigan Communities.
Michigan students with a bachelor’s degree in social work can apply to our 30-credit Advanced Standing program and take a fast track to a master’s degree. We also offer a Regular Standing program with 60 credits for students with bachelor’s degrees in other fields. All students will complete one of our multiple certificates in areas like Clinical Social Work, Child Welfare, Trauma-Responsive Practice, Military Behavioral Health, School Social Work and Substance Use Disorder, or select elective courses to complete an Individualized Plan of Study in conjunction with the accelerated master’s degree program.
Each accelerated program path instills knowledge, skills, and experience for providing ethical support to Michigan’s vulnerable populations. Learn to navigate complex issues that affect every community, including poverty, inequality, and injustice. Plus, delve into the theory behind an array of professional practices, such as psychopathology, direct service, and group practice. To gain hands-on experience, you’ll complete a series of practicums guided by a faculty field professor and agency field instructor.
Our online MSW program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).Explore Curriculum
Choose an Area of Focus for Careers in Michigan.
In addition to offering a fast track to a master’s degree, our online MSW program lets you choose a certificate or an individualized plan of study. Each option provides an enhanced learning experience and delves into topics relevant to social work careers in Michigan.
Build a comprehensive understanding of topics influencing child welfare practice, including historical perspectives, child protection policy, and abuse intervention. Students may apply for the certificate after being accepted to the online MSW program.View Certificate
Gain an advanced level of clinical knowledge and skills including application of social work practice in a variety of clinical settings. Students may apply for the certificate after being accepted to the online MSW program.View Certificate
Gain a deeper understanding of the unique experiences of military members, veterans, and their families, and explore effective and culturally-sensitive behavioral healthcare services for this population. Students may apply for the certificate after being accepted to the online MSW program.View Certificate
Develop critical skills through study and experience to assess and intervene on behalf of children and adolescents in a school setting. Students may apply for the certificate after being accepted to the online MSW program.View Certificate
Learn treatment and prevention approaches related to substance use disorders and develop essential intervention skills through a curriculum founded on evidence-based practice. Students may apply for the certificate after being accepted to the online MSW program.View Certificate
Create your plan of study based on your specific career goals through a selection of social work elective courses designed for your professional success. Students may apply for the certificate after being accepted to the online MSW program.View IPS
Learn how to help individuals in their healing journeys and promote post-traumatic growth and healing. Students may apply for the certificate after being accepted to the online MSW program. Students who have a conferred MSW from a regionally accredited institution may also apply.View Certificate
You don’t need to take the GRE or have previous work experience to apply to the online Master of Social Work degree program at UK. Admission requirements include*:
An application to the 30-credit-hour Advanced Standing program requires:
- A Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree from a CSWE-accredited program, earned within the past seven years
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0, social work GPA of 3.5, or a graduate GPA of 3.0 (if applicable)
An application to the 60-credit-hour Regular Standing program requires:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- A GPA of 3.0 or above in all of your academic endeavors
Other requirements include:
- Application Form
- Personal Résumé
- Two letters of recommendation
- If you graduated within the past five years, at least one academic reference is required
- References you provide should fit the following categories: professor, social work professor, professional social worker/field instructor, and work or volunteer supervisor
- Please exclude personal, pastoral, and relative references
- Four-page autobiographical personal statement
- 250-word writing sample on an ethical dilemma
- All transcripts from any higher education institution attended
*Students may apply for the certificate after being accepted to the online master’s degree in social work program.Apply Now
Tuition & Financial Aid
The cost per credit hour for both accelerated master’s degree programs is $737. Here is the total tuition for each fast-track option:
- Advanced Standing program (30 credits): $22,110
- Regular Standing program (60 credits): $44,220
Students can save up to 40% on tuition by taking advantage of the block tuition rate available for our online MSW program.Learn More
We’re here to help social work students in Michigan fulfill their commitment to academic excellence. We can also connect you with a variety of forms of financial aid—from federal loans to scholarships and military benefits.
Note that additional fees may apply, and total tuition will depend on various factors, such as the number of credits taken and time to complete your master’s degree program. Tuition rates are subject to annual changes.Tuition Details
Military Student Support
The flexible nature of our online MSW program is ideal for Michigan-based military service members and veterans seeking a fast track to social work careers. With faculty who have military backgrounds, courses specific to the issues relevant to you, and military-specific benefits like our Veterans Resource Center, our mission is to support your academic success.Get Support
Passionate Faculty Prepare You to Support People Throughout Michigan.
UK faculty understand the theory behind social work and the realities of professional practice in the field. Many of our faculty members are licensed professionals who bring their deep passion and experience to the virtual classroom.
Enroll in our accelerated master’s degree program to learn directly from professors committed to the ideals of justice and equity in social work. You’ll also work with a field advisor, cultivating hands-on experience necessary to support Michigan’s vulnerable populations.Our Faculty
Why UK Online Is a Great Choice for Michigan Students.
Join Our Tradition Without Leaving Michigan
By seeking your master’s degree online with UK, you’ll join a tradition of excellence that offers a fast track to social work roles where you can make a difference. With experienced faculty, a thoughtfully designed curriculum, and a licensure exam pass rate that surpasses the national average, we help you become exceptionally prepared for real-world practice in Michigan.
How to Apply
Follow these steps to apply to our accelerated master’s degree program:
- Create an online account
- Submit your undergraduate transcripts, letters of recommendation, and other supporting materials
- Pay the $65 application fee
You can expect to receive a decision 2 to 3 weeks after you apply.Get Started
Frequently Asked Questions
Have more questions about the online MSW program? Visit our Resource Center to find answers fast.Resource Center
Up to 25% of coursework can be transferred toward either program courses or electives, with up to 15 credit hours for Regular Standing and 9 for Advanced Standing.
Yes, the online MSW program does offer virtual open houses. These events are held regularly—register to participate in an upcoming virtual open house here.
Regular Standing requires three practicum courses and Advanced Standing requires two practicum courses. Each practicum requires 300 hours over 16 weeks.
The online MSW program does not offer concentrations. However, students may choose to complete a certificate or Individualized Plan of Study along with their master’s degree to gain in-depth skills in a specific area of study. Learn more about available certificates and developing an Individualized Plan of Study here.
- O*NET OnLine. (2022, March 1.) Michigan Employment Trends for: 21-1014.00 – Mental Health Counselors. Retrieved March 14, 2022, from https://www.onetonline.org/link/localtrends/21-1014.00?st=MI&g=Go.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2021, September 8.) Employment Projections. Retrieved March 14, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/emp/.
- O*NET OnLine. (2022, March 1.) Michigan Employment Trends for: 21-1023.00 – Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers. Retrieved March 14, 2022, from https://www.onetonline.org/link/localtrends/21-1023.00?st=MI&g=Go.
- O*NET OnLine. (2022, March 1.) Michigan Employment Trends for: 21-1022.00 – Healthcare Social Workers. Retrieved March 14, 2022, from https://www.onetonline.org/link/localtrends/21-1022.00?st=MI&g=Go.
- O*NET OnLine. (2022, March 1.) Michigan Employment Trends for: 21-1021.00 – Child, Family, and School Social Workers. Retrieved March 14, 2022, from https://www.onetonline.org/link/localtrends/21-1021.00?st=MI&g=Go.
- O*NET OnLine. (2022, March 1.) Michigan Employment Trends for: 21-1029.00 – Social Workers, All Other. Retrieved March 14, 2022, from https://www.onetonline.org/link/localtrends/21-1029.00?st=MI&g=Go.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2021, March 31.) Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2020: 21-1021 Child, Family, and School Social Workers. Retrieved March 14, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes211021.htm#st.