University of Kentucky’s online students have access to extensive support and resources to ensure their education is rich, rewarding, and always at their fingertips.
Get access to the Commonwealth’s premier research library and complete coursework, explore rich multimedia resources, and dig into our archives.
Software and Hardware Requirements
While courses can be accessed from anywhere with a reliable internet connection, such as a public library, we strongly recommend each student purchase their own computer and meet the technology guidelines to ensure the best possible experience.
Here are the recommended computer system requirements to use the Canvas Learning Management system:
Minimum resolution of 800×600, or use the Canvas mobile app to view Canvas on a device with a smaller screen.
- Windows 7 and newer
- Mac OSX 10.10 and newer
- Linux – chromeOS
Mobile Operating System Native App Support
- Android apps require version 5.0 or later
- iOS apps require version 12 or later.
All Android and iOS both support the two most recent versions of their respective operating systems.
Computer Speed and Processor
- Use a computer 5 years old or newer when possible
- 1GB of RAM
- 2GHz processor
- Minimum speed broadband internet connection of 5 Mbps
- Macintosh: VoiceOver (latest version for Safari)
- PC: JAWS (latest version for Firefox)
- PC: NVDA (latest version for Firefox)
- There is no screen reader support for Canvas in Chrome
- The latest version of Adobe Flash (Available Here)
- The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (Available Here)
- Microsoft Office (Available free to students through http://download.uky.edu)
Some courses may require additional software.
- Webcam (Recommended. Many laptops come with an integrated webcam and will not require an external device)
- USB headset or headphones with microphone
- Other helpful options include 8 GB or larger USB Flash Drive, external hard drive (for data backup/extra storage), 1920X1080 or better external monitor for desktop use, wired or wireless external mouse, video adapters (DVI/HDMI), and Kensington Security Slot laptop security cable.
- Operating system must have the latest security updates installed and Windows Defender or Macintosh Gatekeeper enabled, both of which will be on by default.