Online Master of Social Work Degree for Students in NC—No GRE Required
Your passion for helping others could strengthen the positive impact you have on North Carolina communities. Prepare to make a difference by earning your CSWE-accredited Master of Social Work (MSW) degree. No GRE is required.
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
Regular Standing MSW
Format 100% Online
Total Credits 60
Program Length As few as 4 semesters
Certificate Options Yes
Advanced Standing MSW – Accelerated Format
Format 100% Online
Total Credits 30
Program Length As few as 2 Semesters
Certificate Options Yes
Support Social Justice and Positive Change in North Carolina.
With UK’s online Master of Social Work degree, North Carolina students have a direct path to careers focusing on social justice and advancing human rights. The accelerated format helps you finish faster, and there is no GRE requirement to apply.
The College of Social Work offers two convenient options for NC residents to earn an accredited social work degree. You can enroll in the MSW program online without leaving your home or current job in North Carolina, studying when and where it is best for you. What’s more, you can choose from multiple certificate options to customize and enrich your education.
No matter the option you choose, you’ll prepare to deliver research-informed support that makes a difference to NC individuals and families. You can also contribute to large-scale change after attaining your social work degree by learning to improve systems of care, drive social change, and lead organizations across North Carolina. With our Advanced Standing option, eligible full-time students can finish the program in 12 months.
Your Passion for Helping Others Can Propel Your Career in NC.
Social work employment is projected to rise throughout North Carolina, and our online MSW program can prepare you to meet this need. Estimates show the employment of mental health and substance abuse social workers in NC will grow 19% from 2018 to 2028—faster than the national rate.1 Additionally, North Carolina will likely need 12% more healthcare social workers during that timeframe.2
North Carolina Social Work Jobs by the Numbers.
Review the projections for social work jobs in North Carolina in 2028.
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers: 12,910 jobs3
- Mental Health Counselors: 10,120 jobs4
- Healthcare Social Workers: 3,870 jobs2
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers: 2,900 jobs1
- Social Workers (All Other): 1,110 jobs5
15% Ten-year projection for mental health and substance abuse social workers in the U.S.1
19% Ten-year projection for mental health and substance abuse social workers in NC.1
No. 7 NC’s national ranking for the employment of child, family, and school social workers.6
Prepare to Qualify for Licensure in North Carolina.
Seeking your Master of Social Work degree online helps you build the confidence and expertise you need to foster change in North Carolina. At the same time, our accredited MSW program better prepares you to sit for the social work licensure exam with our focused Licensing Preparation Initiative (LPI), which has specific instruction and exam structure throughout the coursework. Our licensure pass rates surpass the national average.
Professional licensure or certification may be required to practice, advance, or specialize in social work. However, educational requirements for licensure vary by state. You can view more information on social work licensure here.
Get more information about our online MSW program’s SARA compliance.
Curriculum: Deliver Ethical Support to NC Communities.
North Carolina students with a bachelor’s degree in social work can apply to our 30-credit Advanced Standing program to pursue a master’s degree in 12 months. We also offer a 60-credit Regular Standing program for students with bachelor’s degrees in other fields. There is no GRE requirement for either program, simplifying the admissions process.
You will complete one of our multiple certificates in areas like Clinical Social Work, Child Welfare, Military Behavioral Health, School Social Work and Substance Use Disorder, or select elective courses to complete an Individualized Plan of Study while pursuing the online Master of Social Work degree. With each of these program paths, you can fulfill your passion for practicing social work in NC communities. You’ll learn to help address poverty, inequality, injustice, and other complex issues ethically and effectively while learning to apply the theory behind psychopathology, direct service, and group practice. To gain hands-on experience for careers in North Carolina, you’ll engage in a series of practicums guided by a faculty field professor and an agency field instructor.
Our online MSW program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).Explore Curriculum
Choose an Area of Focus for Careers in North Carolina.
In our online social work degree program, you can choose to earn a certificate or follow an individualized plan of study. With each option, you’ll take online courses that enhance your learning experience and prepare you for professional success in North Carolina.
Clinical Social Work Certificate
Gain an advanced level of clinical knowledge and skills including application of social work practice in a variety of clinical settings. Students may apply for the certificate after being accepted to the online MSW program.
Individualized Plan of Study
Create your plan of study based on your specific career goals through a selection of social work elective courses designed for your professional success. Students may apply for the certificate after being accepted to the online MSW program.
Substance Use Disorder Certificate
Learn treatment and prevention approaches related to substance use disorders and develop essential intervention skills through a curriculum founded on evidence-based practice. Students may apply for the certificate after being accepted to the online MSW program.
You don’t need to take the GRE or have previous work experience to apply to the online Master of Social Work degree program at UK. Admission requirements include*:
An application to the 30-credit-hour Advanced Standing program requires:
- A Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree from a CSWE-accredited program, earned within the past 7 years
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0, social work GPA of 3.5, or a graduate GPA of 3.0 (if applicable)
- An application to the 60-credit-hour Regular Standing program requires:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- A GPA of 3.0 or above in all of your academic endeavors
Other requirements include:
- Application Form
- Personal Résumé
- Two letters of recommendation
- If you graduated within the past five years, at least one academic reference is required
- References you provide should fit the following categories: professor, social work professor, professional social worker/field instructor, and work or volunteer supervisor
- Please exclude personal, pastoral, and relative references
- 4-page autobiographical personal statement
- 250-word writing sample on an ethical dilemma
- All transcripts from any higher education institution attended
- No GRE requirement
*Students may apply for the certificate after being accepted to the online MSW program.Apply Now
Tuition & Financial Aid
Whether you live in NC or another state while enrolled in our program, the cost per credit hour is $700.50. The total tuition for the 60-credit Regular Standing MSW program is $42,030, or $21,015 for the 30-credit Advanced Standing MSW program.
Students can save up to 40% on tuition by taking advantage of the block tuition rate.Learn More
We’re here to help NC students fulfill their commitment to academic excellence and connect them with a variety of forms of financial aid—from federal loans to scholarships and military benefits.
Note that additional fees may apply, and total tuition will depend on various factors, such as the number of credits taken and time to complete our online social work degree program. Tuition rates are subject to annual changes.Tuition Details
Military Student Support
The flexible nature of our online Master of Social Work degree program is ideal for NC-based military service members and veterans. With faculty who have military backgrounds, courses specific to the issues relevant to you, and military-specific benefits like our Veterans Resource Center, our mission is to support your academic success.Get Support
Passionate Faculty Enable You to Support NC’s Vulnerable Populations.
UK faculty understand the theory behind social work and the realities of professional practice in the field. Many of our faculty members are licensed professionals who bring their deep passion and practical experience to the online classroom.
Pursue the CSWE-accredited social work degree online to engage with professors committed to the ideals of justice and equity in social work. To cultivate the hands-on experience North Carolina organizations need, you’ll work with a field advisor while completing the practicum component of the online MSW program.Our Faculty
Why UK Online Is a Great Choice for Students in North Carolina.
Bring Big Blue Nation to the Tar Heel State
By earning UK’s accredited social work degree, NC students join a tradition of excellence while building career skills online—with no GRE requirement to apply. With experienced faculty, a thoughtfully designed curriculum, and a licensure exam pass rate that surpasses the national average, we make sure you graduate exceptionally prepared for real-world practice in North Carolina.
How to Apply
Follow these steps to apply to our online Master of Social Work degree program:
- Create an online account
- Submit your undergraduate transcripts, letters of recommendation, and other supporting materials
- Pay the $65 application fee
You can expect to receive a decision 2 to 3 weeks after you applyGet Started
Frequently Asked Questions
Have more questions about our CSWE-accredited MSW program? Visit our Resource Center to find answers fast.Resource Center
Up to 25% of coursework can be transferred toward either program courses or electives, with up to 15 credit hours for Regular Standing and 9 for Advanced Standing.
Yes, the online MSW program does offer virtual open houses. These events are held regularly—register to participate in an upcoming virtual open house here.
Regular Standing requires three practicum courses and Advanced Standing requires two practicum courses. Each practicum requires 300 hours over 16 weeks.
The online MSW program does not offer concentrations. However, students may choose to complete a certificate or Individualized Plan of Study along with their master’s degree to gain in-depth skills in a specific area of study. Learn more about available certificates and developing an Individualized Plan of Study here.
- O*NET OnLine. (2021, March 1.) North Carolina Employment Trends for: 21-1023.00 – Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers. Retrieved March 10, 2022, from https://www.onetonline.org/link/localtrends/21-1023.00?st=NC&g=Go.
- O*NET OnLine. (2021, March 1.) North Carolina Employment Trends for: 21-1022.00 – Healthcare Social Workers. Retrieved March 10, 2022, from https://www.onetonline.org/link/localtrends/21-1022.00?st=NC&g=Go.
- O*NET OnLine. (2021, March 1.) North Carolina Employment Trends for: 21-1021.00 – Child, Family, and School Social Workers. Retrieved March 10, 2022, from https://www.onetonline.org/link/localtrends/21-1021.00?st=NC&g=Go.
- O*NET OnLine. (2021, March 1.) North Carolina Employment Trends for: 21-1014.00 – Mental Health Counselors. Retrieved March 10, 2022, from https://www.onetonline.org/link/localtrends/21-1014.00?st=NC&g=Go.
- North Carolina Employment Trends for: 21-1029.00 – Social Workers, All Other. Retrieved March 10, 2022, from https://www.onetonline.org/link/localtrends/21-1029.00?st=NC&g=Go.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2021, Oct. 18). Occupational Employment and Wage Statistics: May 2020, State (XLS). Retrieved March 10, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/oes/.